This was the UFA scoring race before the start of hockey tonight. Mikhail "Birthday Boy" Grabovski added to his solid totals with a 2 goal, 1 assist night. Good enough to move him past Wideman, Hudler, Smyth and tie him with Jagr, at the time I wrote this. That puts Grabovski 5th in points, and gives him the lead in goal scorers. Olli Jokinen is the only center with better numbers, and Parise is the only player in his 20s with better numbers.
There isn't a replacement for him available this summer, and his offensive numbers are consistent with the players that seem to be deemed star forwards.
In fact here are a few comparisons:
Rick Nash: 17 goals/33 points
Ryan Getzlaf: 8 goals/34 points
Paul Stastny: 13 goals/30 points
Bobby Ryan: 19 goals/31 points
A few other notes from the above table:
1. A lot of those people are really old
2. What the hell is Wellwood doing there?
3. If Grabbo isn't resigned then Ryan Suter better be a Leaf on July 1st.
4. Zach Parise is going to sign a bat shit crazy contract and thankfully it's unlikely to be coming from Toronto
5. Fuck Lee Stempniak
6. I'm going to assume the Sabres make a stupid offer to Hudler
7. Besides Ryan Suter, Frans Neilsen, Barret Jackman, and Josh Harding it's worth sitting out Free Agency
8. Size up front isn't going to be addressed through Free Agency.
9. Semin will be a huge disappointment for someone
10. Lee Stempniak really is an asshole.